Cafe 50's
Route 66 AKA Santa Monica Blvd
11623 Santa Monica Blvd
West Los Angeles, CA
By Allen Bacon, The Daily Bosco
Photo by Allen Bacon
I believe I have stumbled upon the formula for time travel on my walk of Route 66 through West Los Angeles.
Do you remember that scene from Back to the Future where Marty arrives in 1950's Hill Valley for the very first time and then enters a Diner?
That is exactly how I felt when I entered the Cafe 50's in West Los Angeles on Route 66 (Santa Monica Blvd.) . This is because the minute you walk into the Cafe 50's universe, for all intents and purposes you have left the 21st Century.
It would have even been better if there was a nearby record store blaring out The Chordette's Mr. Sandman.
I was smart enough not to ask for a Pepsi Free. I had coffee. No sugar. Just like Marty.
The Cafe 50's is billed as "The Last Diner on Route 66" (If you are traveling west) That was true when the diner opened in the 1970's. Mel's Diner at the end of the Mother Road in Santa Monica actually has taken over that distinction.
Come for the 1950's food and the milk shakes. Stay for the memorabilia. The walls are covered with Magazines, Newspaper articles, and Head shots from the 1950's. And there are more classic Juke boxes per square foot than any place in America.
The servers are dressed in the classic diner outfits from the 50's. Now if they can just use 1950's expressions like "Swell" and "Jeepers".
I wanted to know if you could get a 1950's staple for breakfast. Steak and Eggs. Yes you can but it was lunch time when I arrived so I had a cheese burger. As a lettuce wrap. No fries. I could have had it 50's style but I had eaten a burger at the Shake Shack for Breakfast in Beverly Hills up the road earlier. So I stuck to my Keto diet.
That was very Un-50's like but I am after all from the future.

No comments:
Post a Comment