Friday, July 24, 2026

Kalaveras Is Muy Bueno



Kalaveras 
Multiple Locations
5 Scoops of Bosco

Reviewed By Allen Bacon, The Daily Bosco

I have to admit, when I first passed the Mexican restaurant Kalaveras for the first time I was a little intimidated by the El Dia De Muerto imagery.  

As a wanna be Graphic Artist, I was intrigued, but intimidated at the same time.  I think it is because when I was growing up, when you saw an image of a skull on anything, that was typically not a good thing.

That slight fear quickly went away the minute I stepped into Kalaveras.  This is because you are suddenly immersed in the festive vibrant colors, music, sights and sounds of celebration of the traditional El Dia De Muerto. 

That is all well and good, but would it pass the taste test?  

My wife and I have a very simple test when we eat at a Mexican Restaurant for the first time. We order a Molcajete and for dessert we order a flan with a coffee.

Don't let the fact that the folks at Kalaveras call their Molcajete a Parrillada and serve it on a flat cast iron skillet as opposed to a cast iron bowl throw you off.

Their take on the Parrillada is a mix of marinated steak, chicken breast, shrimp, chorizo, quesso fresco, and Toreado Pepper seasoned to near perfection.

The flan we had for dessert was also very well done.  Great texture with caramel and strawberries, garnished with mint.  The coffee? Folgers Classic.

We can't wait to go back and try all the other wonderful food



No comments: