Sunday, December 16, 2007

An Appreciation: Dan Fogelberg

By Allen Bacon
Editor
Bosco: The Blog

Editor's Note: One of my favorite singer/musician/songwriters died today at his home in Maine of prostate cancer. Dan Fogelberg was only 56. He is survived by his wife Jean.

I always thought Dan Fogelberg was underappreciated. If you think he is only defined by his hits such as Power of Gold or Leader of the Band and Same Old Lang Syne you would only know a part of the story. His musical resume was large and vast.

I was first introduced to Fogelberg's music by my good friends Jim and Michelle Clements back in the mid 70's. I was visiting them in Nashville and they were telling me about this guy who was playing the Nashville clubs that they really enjoyed. Jim let me listen to his first album titled Home Free and I was hooked. I was a big fan of the Southern California Country Rock Sound and even though Fogelberg was from Colorado and sounded as if he can straight out of Nashville he fit right in with the likes of the Eagles, Poco, Linda Rondstadt, Jackson Browne and Souther, Hillman, Fury. His style also lent itself to James Tayor.

Whenever Fogelberg would come out to Southern California I would try to go. My favorite show was one that I saw at the Anaheim Convention Center in 1979. Fogelberg played the first half of the show unplugged. It was just him and his piano or guitar depending on the song. Then his band came out and he rocked the house despite the poor acoustics of the Convention Center.

I liked Fogelberg most when he was at a faster pace and singing angrily of heartbreak and unfulfilled love like The Last Nail, As The Raven Flies, Love Gone By or Someone's Been Telling You Stories If you ever have gone through a breakup and cranked these songs up...somehow it just made you feel better.

The Bosco TV Music Channel is preempting our regularly scheduled programming to bring you a tribute to Dan Fogelberg including some priceless live performances of Old Lang Syne and The Leader of the Band

Rest in peace Dan...I'm getting my Netherlands album right now. This one's for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow he was so young, too bad. I also liked his music, although I have not listened to him for years. I will check out my CD collection to see what I have.