Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Return of California Rock

 
Tom Bremer 
When Tomorrow Comes 
www.myspace.com/tombremermusic
Five Scoops of Bosco

Reviewed by Allen Bacon, The Daily Bosco

I first ran into Tom Bremer, the pop and folk singer-songwriter from Southern California, when my son Felix and Tom used to run Cross Country and play baseball for Fullerton High School.

Tom and his brother Steve are good athletes and excellent students (hovering around the top of their class at Fullerton High when they graduated). Little did I know that Tom was busy carving out a career in music.

Fast forward seven years later and my son runs into Tom and his band playing a set at McClain's Coffee House in Fullerton. Tom gives Felix his latest CD, When Tomorrow Comes, and my son, knowing how much I enjoy good music, drops it off with me.

I absolutely loved it.

I really don't like putting musical artists in particular boxes or likening them to other artists as they are finding their own voice but I think the reason I like Bremer's music is that it reminds me very much of the California Rock Scene of the 70's when groups like Poco, Eagles, or Flying Burrito Brothers were prevalent. Throw in just a pinch Jack Johnson and you have a bit of an idea of how Tom Bremer sounds.

Bremer is recognized as an exceptional guitar player and artist and the craftsmanship shows through on this album. The production is clean and the result is a very listenable album.

Bremer has been known to shred on the electric guitar but here he skews toward the mellow, utilizing the acoustic guitar as his songwriting tool to passionately discuss love, music, and his perspectives on life.

When Tomorrow Comes is a carefully selected compilation of Bremer’s acoustic rock and pop material and deserves a listen.

No comments: