Monday, January 26, 2009

Danny Elfman Scores Big


Prolific Film Scorer and Oingo Boingo frontman Danny Elfman made a special live appearance on Monday's Morning Becomes Eclectic radio program. The show has been archived.

By Allen Bacon, Editor, The Daily Bosco

For some reason, it never surprised me when, back in the 80's, one of my favorite frontmen from one of my favorite bands made the jump from rock star to movie scorer.

That's because one of Danny Elfman's first movie scoring projects, Tim Burton's Pee Wee's Big Adventure, just fit in with the type of music that he and his fellow Oingo Boingo bandmates were doing at the time...the three f's..fast, frenetic, fun...

But I really got wowed when I heard the soundtrack to the first Batman film by Tim Burton. This was a masterpiece and really set Elfman apart from other movie composers. I still believe it is one of the best film scores ever. It is my all time favorite.

Some 30 film scores..(his latest is Milk) and around 20 televison theme songs later including The Simpsons and Desperate Housewives...it's hard to believe Elfman had that whole alter ego with Oingo Boingo. It's hard to imagine films without his music.

It's also hard to believe that he was once criticized by the arrogant film scorers establisment for lacking in formal training. All I know, is that you can listen to an Elfman score without the visuals of film and be moved. Nobody is criticizing anymore.

Although it's sad when you think that there will probably never be another Oingo Boingo Halloween concert again...Elfman has stated that he will not perform rock music anymore because he fears permanent hearing loss...he does have a full docket of film scores to look forward to. This includes the upcoming Alice In Wonderland adaptation from Tim Burton set to release next year.

Danny Elfman was the special guest of host Jason Bentley on Monday's Morning Becomes Eclectic radio program. This show has been archived and can be listened to at www.kcrw.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad!

Is Danny Elfman married to Jenna Elfman? Do you know anything about this? I think someone might be pulling my leg. I told that person I was married to Kevin Bacon. And they were like "somebody married you?"

In any event, let me know what you find out.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I checked it out...

You definitely are not married to Kevin Bacon.

Love,
Kyra Sedgewick