Friday, September 5, 2008

On The First Episode of Gatesfeld


By Allen Bacon
Editor, The Daily Bosco



The first episode of the new hit Comedy Series Gatesfeld aired last night during the NFL Kickoff Game....AKA The new Microsoft ads featuring Bill Gates and Comedian Jerry Seinfeld.

This was entertaining and funny stuff. If you're into the humor of Larry David, Jerry Seinfeld, and that crowd you probably enjoyed it. It seemed like an episode right out of Curb Your Enthusiasm or Seinfeld. This could have been written by Larry David. The ads are produced by advertising juggernaut Chiatt/Day.

I'm not going to give away the plot of the ad...well because there is no plot actually. It's basically about nothing. Hmmm, sounds familiar.

If i'm spending millions of dollars on an advertising campaign I want it to sell my product. Look at most of the ads on the Super Bowl. Very entertaining stuff. But can you name the products. I can't most of the time. Remember the Go Daddy ads this past year with Danica Patrick? Those ads told me nothing about the product.

A cool ad was when the I-Phone was introduced. Those ads showed what the product did and made sure we knew it was a Mac. I actually got excited enough from those ads to the point where I had to have the product. So I rushed down to the Mac Store and got one.

Initially, this advertising campaign for Microsoft is cute but I'm not going down this morning and getting any Microsoft products based on that ad.

It must be nice to have billions of dollars like Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld to make an ad about nothing. But then again, it's actually doing what it's supposed to do...I'm writing about it and I'm sure a few people around the water coolers this morning will be talking about it too.

No comments: