Tuesday, September 23, 2008

LA Law Moves to New York


Raising The Bar
Produced by Steven Bochco
TNT, Monday Nights
4 Scoops of Bosco

By Allen Bacon
Editor, The Daily Bosco


About halfway through watching the pilot episode of Raising The Bar, the new Steven Bochco lawyer drama on TNT, I couldn't help feel I've seen this before.

The jittery camera motions, the slick sets, the fashion, the office romances, the romances that you don't expect, the court cases, the "oh my God..did they just say/do that on regular TV" factor. Then it hits me...I'm not watching LA Law. I'm watching LA Law with new faces.

Really Mr. Bochco. Did you forget that a lot of us that watched LA Law are still alive and know that you're just doing your old show and plugging in young actors and actresses? This is not the "new innovative, groundbreaking show from Steven Bochco" that TNT is promoting it as.

Watch it and see if you don't come to the same conclusions. Mark-Paul Gosselaar is the new Harry Hamlin. Melissa Sagemiller is the new Susan Dey. J. August Richards is the new Blair Underwood. Currie Graham is the new Corbin Bernsen. Should I go on? I can. But you get the point.

Not to say that's a totally bad thing. I missed LA Law. And now it's back.

The one thing that I was interested in was Jane Kaczmarek's role as a judge. After seeing her for so many years in such a comedic role on Malcolm In the Middle I was wondering how a dramatic turn would suit her. Turns out she fits in just fine. She plays the character with just enough quirkiness to make her interesting.

The Bosco Rating System is based on a scale of 1-5, five being best.

No comments: