Sunday, May 18, 2008

Same Sex Marriage Allowed in California


Opinion: During This Week Same Sex Marriage Once Again Became Legal in the State of California. But Is The Battle Over? And Why Are We Still Debating This in the 21st Century?

By Allen Bacon
Editor
The Daily Bosco


I can not let the week get away without commenting on the fact that Same Sex Marriage is once again legal in the state of California. I am ecstatic that those of my friends who desire to get married and were formerly unable, are now legally able to do so in my home state.

But I have a gnawing feeling in my gut even as I write these words. Because you know that there are a lot of people that don't want this...even within the liberal California climate.

Many of those people are Religious types who somehow believe that if this is adopted our country will not have the blessings of God.

Isn't there supposed to be a separation of Church and State in this country? I mean this is the biggest no-brainer of all time. Why are we even debating this anymore?

You just know that this is going to be the one political issue that may affect the way we vote at the polls and determine who we elect as President this year. But it really shouldn't be.

Earlier this month we celebrated the life of Mildred Loving who took a stand against the bans on inter-racial marriage in the 60's. Isn't this really the same thing? I hope one day we come to the point that everybody looks at the ban on same-sex marriage and has the same reaction that we now have against inter-racial marriage. Bans against inter-racial marriage were wrong and mis-guided. Bans against same-sex marriage...equally so.

Photo Credits: Vancouver Post

No comments: