Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Eight Belles Tragedy Is Unnecessary


The euthanizing of Kentucky Derby second place finisher Eight Belles (pictured training)requires a better explanation

By Allen Bacon
Editor
Bosco


I just got done listening to the Kentucky Derby on ESPN Radio and announcer Brent Musberger was fighting back tears as he went to a commercial break as he announced the euthanisizing of Fillie Eight Belles, the second place finishing horse today.

Can somebody please explain to me why this is necessary? I'm asking the readers of Bosco to come in now with a reasonable explanation. I understand that the horse will not be able to run competitively again. I understand that she will not earn her owners money any longer. I understand there is 1000 pounds of animal sitting on four thin legs and her legs can't support the weight. I understand that she was in a a lot of pain as she fractured her two ankles. But why do you have to kill a living being? I can not fathom this.

Shame on ESPN Radio for not explaining this to us. I waited. And Waited. And Waited some more. All I got was.."This is part of the sport". "It overshadows the win of Big Brown". But no answers on why this is necessary.

In this day of modern veterinarian medicine, wasn't it possible to put her to sleep and do a surgery for her legs. Then the greedy owners could turn around and sell her or give her away to a deserving family that would take care of her. I repeat, I am not a horse expert, but it seems that this scenario would and should be possible.

When I was in Alaska shooting footage for a preliminary race for the famous Iditarod dog sled race, I was struck by the humanity of most of the dog owners. Most of the dogs stay with the families from birth to death. When they are not competititive they still stay with the families until they die. It seems to me horse racing has a lot to learn from this model. Again I want somebody to write in and explain this to us. This is a horrible day.

And this should have been a great story. A beautiful black fillie, a girl, running against the boys...and not only finishing but finishing second out of a field of twenty in the greatest horse race on the planet. And you know she was hurting on the stretch...she had to be...but she kept going. And then because she can no longer bring in any more money...she gets put down...no questions asked. I am sick.

Photo Credits: Getty Images

No comments: