Sunday, April 6, 2008

Charleton Heston: An Appreciation


By Allen Bacon
Editor
Bosco

Charleton Heston died on Saturday at the age of 84. The actor, who played historical figures in the age of movie epics announced just two years ago he was in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's Disease. Heston's family has not disclosed the cause of death.

Heston became famous for his larger than life portrayals of such historical and religious figures as Moses , Marc Anthony, and El Cid. But he's probably best known for his Academy-Award winning performance as the Chariot Racing Ben Hur.

I personally was not a fan of Mr. Heston's acting. His over-blown portrayals in such movies as Soylent Green, Planet of the Apes or Touch of Evil left me wondering if he wasn't overrated as an actor.

But what I appreciated about his life is how he went about his business with dignity and professionalism. And although I disagreed with some of his political stances in his later years...he was always sincere. I will always appreciate his lending his celebrity status and his efforts to the Civil Rights movement of the 60's. Plus he had one of the most distinct voices of all time.

Rest In Peace Moses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Mr. Heston too, except for the NRA stance. I will always remember him as Moses in the Ten Commandments.

Onanite