Saturday, February 16, 2013

ESPN3 Is Like Wide World of Sports on Steroids


Reviewed By Allen Bacon, The Daily Bosco

I have to tell you that I am completely addicted to ESPN 3.com, the online live and recorded sports network.

 Everything is suffering...my writing...my social life is in the dumpster. And I was trying to figure out why I liked it so much.

The reason is that it's a throwback to the start of ESPN.

Remember before ESPN had all the major sports contracts how they used to fill programming time with stuff like Australian rules football, the USFL, Lumberjack competitions....wherever there was a live sporting event..they would be there. Kind of like the Wide World of Sports for 24 continuous hours.

This is what espn3.com is like.

Here I was last fall watching Futsal at 5:00 in the morning. Futsal is a great sport. They play soccer on a basketball court with a small goal...there's no walls. I can't believe thay can keep the ball in bounds for more than ten seconds.

Then a couple of weeks ago I'm watching the Australian Open, and not just the major stuff...all action on all courts....then the practice of a NASCAR sprint race....not the qualifying round...not actual race...practice. Then they even have basketball games from Italy at 3 in the morning. This is my kind of network.

I was able to see every pitch of the last World Baseball Classic, plus NBA basketball, almost every NIT basketball game, the NCAA Conference basketball tournaments and much more.

ESPN3 really excels on Saturdays. Wall to wall coverage of at least 20 college basketball games live. During football season it was 20 college football games.

It's hard to pull me away from the I-touch or my laptop.


For access...go to www.espn3.com and log in. Bosco Radio Sports also links to many of the events on espn3.com

No comments: