Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Social Network Bill of Rights: The Rough Draft


By Allen Bacon, The Daily Bosco

I was listening to a radio news program recently and heard something about a Social Networking Bill of Rights and thought, "That is an idea that's time has definitely come!" We need more things for our children to memorize in their Seventh Grade Social Studies Class.

For those of you who have not seen the Social Network Bill of Rights, I have listed this at the end of the article. Before I do that though, I wanted to share a first rough draft of the Bill of Rights that I found (remember it is a first draft and some things still had to be ironed out):

1. You have the right to not post stupid photos of yourself involved in illegal activity or stuff that should be illegal or stuff that is illegal in most states.

2. You have the right to not get all bent of shape when somebody doesn't respond to your post. Which also coincides with the right to not take yourself too seriously and the right to not believe you are the center of the universe.

3. You have the right to not cut and paste and re-post everything your friends and family tell you to cut and paste and re-post.

4. You have the right to not change your status every 15 minutes. Which also coincides with the right to not post status's about doing mundane things like going to the supermarket or the bathroom or the gas station or to Starbucks.

5. You have the right to not post takes on your sports teams. That's what Jim Rome is there for.

6. You have the right to not feel the need to "like" everything your friends do.

7. You have the right to be a fan of the Daily Bosco. (If they actually had fan pages)

8. You have the right to not post philosophical quotes like stuff from Gandhi and Confucious and make them look like your original quotes so your friends who have never picked up a book think that you wrote that on your own, which also coincides with,

9. You have the right to not post stupid, lame, and tasteless jokes. Leave that to a trained professional.

10. You have the right to post shameless plugs for your Blog. Which also coincides with your right to not post advertisements to my wall for whatever your selling. (For the last time, Do I look like somebody that might need a Male Enhancement formula?)

11. We have the right to have an "Unlike" button.

12. You have the right to limit your likes to two for each categories. Two musical groups, two movies, two tv shows, two books..that's it! Which also coincides with the right to not think your bitchin' because you like 495 musical groups.

13. You have the right to write a sentence with out a winky emoticon, a smiley emoticon, an lol, or a LMAO. ROTFLMAO!!

All joking aside, this is what the actual Social Network Bill of Rights Looks Like:

We the users expect social network sites to provide provide us the following rights in their Terms of Service, Privacy Policies, and implementations of their system:

1. Honesty: Honor your privacy policy and terms of service

2. Clarity: Ensure that policies and terms of service are easy to understand

3. Freedom of speech: Don’t censor without a clear policy and justification

4. Empowerment: Support privacy-enhancing and assistive technologies

5. Security: Treat my data as securely as your own, and notify me if it is compromised

6. Data minimization: Minimize the information I am required to provide and share with others

7. Control: Let me control my data, and don’t share it with others unless I agree first

8. Predictability: Don’t change who or what sees my data without my consent

9. Right to know: Show me how you are using my data and allow me to see who and what has access to it.

10. Right to self-define: Let me create more than one identity and use pseudonyms. Do not link them without my permission.

11. Right to appeal: Allow me to appeal disciplinary actions

12. Right to leave: Allow me to delete my account, and take my data with me

No comments: