Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman: 1925-2008


By Allen Bacon
Editor, The Daily Bosco


My favorite all time scene in a movie involving Paul Newman has to be in Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, when he and Robert Redford are on the edge of a cliff with no where to go except down. They decide instead of giving themselves up to the authorities, who are hot on their trail, that they are better off jumping. As they are falling, you hear those immortal words, "Oh, Shiiiiiiiit!"

I cannot think of a better metaphor for life's tough decisions than that. When the odds are stacked against you sometimes it's better to go with your gut and take the plunge and hope for the best even though deep down you are going "Oh, Shiiiiiiit!"

Deep down, I and most males on the planet, aspire to be like Paul Newman. He was a man's man. Engage in your passions. In his case it was acting, race car driving, charitable work, political and social activism. Plus he had a committed relationship and a great family. Not to mention those killer looks. Unfortunately, the only thing I have remotely close in common with Paul Newman's looks is his blue eyes. Even his eyes were bluer than mine.

So today I think I will pop up some Newman's Own Popcorn, put a little Newman's Own Salad Dressing on my lettuce and watch The Hustler. I will miss Paul Newman.

Paul Newman died Saturday morning of cancer. He was 83.

No comments: