Thursday, January 3, 2008

2008 Ford Mustang: Falling Short of It's Heyday

2008 Ford Mustang
3 Teaspoons of Bosco (Out of 5)


By Allen Bacon
Editor
Bosco: The Blog


I have to admit I'm a little partial to 1965 Ford Mustangs. The '65 Mustang, after all, was my first automobile. I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears to bring my Mustang back to it's original condition. I bought it for $900 with all the money I had in my Savings in 1976 while I was a junior in high school and spent another $2000 of my hard earned money restoring it with my dad. After the birth of my first child, I thought I would do the responsible thing and get rid of it...I kick myself every day now for selling it. What was I thinking? Especially now when I see these old cars being sold for around $30,000

So that's why I resisted getting into the new Mustangs as they unfolded year after year. Until now. There were a couple of reasons for this. Number one, I didn't want to own up to my mistake of getting rid of my dream car. And number two, I didn't really like any of the body styles after 1965 save for the 1968 edition.

This changed about three years ago when Ford went to a retro style for the Mustang. The outside is very reminiscent of the late 1960's version. But I was curious...Did it feel and drive like the 1965 car? I finally got enough nerve to take one out for a test drive.

I actually drove two... one with a V8 engine and one with a 6 cylinder engine. As far as that was concerned they felt no different. The 6 cylinder felt like it just had as much power as the 8 cylinder. The interior was what bothered me the most. As interiors go, it is really nice with it's leather appointments but if you are going to do a retro car...Ford needs to recreate the old look as close as you can. Or at least make it an option. The new version has a wonderful CD, MP3 Player and AM/FM radio. I would have hid it and put it behind an old Philco AM radio. Even I had the sense, as an 18 year old kid, to place my tape deck under the dash where it would slide in and out.

And what about going back to a hand crank window and hand door handle option? I understand there are some things you can't do...Like you must have air bags... but the other things need to go back to the original as close as possible if you are doing a retro car.

While the body is actually more reminiscent of the 1968 version, it is a little more boxier. But even so, it is still without a doubt a Mustang...there is no denying this one... and with cleaner lines than any version in recent memory. I like the fact that they went back to the old grill as well. In the 1965 models you had an option of the fastback or a hatchback. On the 2008 version you don't have the option. Although, I am partial to the hatchback which is what I had on my '65, the fastback looks good here. But still, it would have been nice to have that option.

Long time designer Carroll Shelby is designing a whole line of new Shelby Cobras based on this car. These cars are double the price of the regular car and the dealers don't want you to drive them. They want the Shelby Cobras to have zero miles on them when they go out the door.

No comments: