Saturday, October 31, 2015

Wings Cafe at Fullerton Airport Takes Flight


Wings Cafe
At Fullerton Airport
Fullerton, CA
Five Scoops of Bosco

Reviewed by Allen Bacon, The Daily Bosco

As long as I can remember my hometown of Fullerton, CA has had a cafe at the Municipal Airport on the west side of town.

It was a great place to stop and eat if you were a pilot while flying or getting ready to fly out of Fullerton Airport.  It was also a neat place for non-pilots to eat breakfast or lunch while watching the planes take off or to bring the kids to watch the airplanes.

For me there was an added bonus as a train lover in a train town.  I could look out across the runway and see the trains go by as well while I ate my breakfast.

About two years ago the cafe closed, ending an era. It was a sad day for many of us who enjoyed grabbing a coffee or breakfast at the diner underneath the flight tower.

So you can imagine my excitement when I heard a new diner was being built in the old location under the flight tower at the airport.

The new diner, re-named Wings, with new owners Brian and Shari White at the helm re-opened a couple of weeks back and I got a chance this past weekend to try it out for the first time.

I really like what they have done to the place.

Everything from the runway which runs down the middle of the floor, to the industrial stainless steel look, and plenty of  aviation memorabilia (including a real black box). There is also an airplane control panel equipped with a recharging zone for your cell phone at each of the booths and headsets to listen to the tower.

The Whites, who are long-time owners of the Galley Cafe by the docks at Newport Bay frequented by yachters, surfers and locals, know a thing or two about nostalgic decor and atmosphere.

The added bonus to all this atmosphere is that the food is quite good.

I had my old standby, a Denver Omelette with toast and hash browns and Farmer Brothers Coffee and it was good at a reasonable price ($9.99).

The menu is chock full of great Americana comfort food items like a French Toast Sandwich, Eggs Benedict, Omelettes, pancakes and waffles.  A great lunch menu is also available.

In an American diner tradition, real authentic milk shakes are served as well as Craft Beers and Wine.

All this is topped off by a friendly staff and the owners that make you feel welcome.  This place is a winner.

I look forward to going back again and again.

No comments: